Monday, January 08, 2007

The Weather Man

I started watching "The Weather Man" today with Nick Cage as weather reporter Dave Spritz. I haven't finished the movie yet, but it's not terrible. It's kindof a dark comedy and has some moments that at least made me Michael Caine plays opposite Cage as Spritz's father. I happen to really like Caine and though he has a small part he's solid as usual.

My problem, though, is the use of the inner dialogue for Spritz. I have to wonder whether somewhere in Screenwriting 101 there's something that says "avoid using inner dialogue like the plague." Typically it comes off as very contrived to me - it just seems like cheating. If Dave Spritz feels refreshed, get that to come across on screen, you don't have to tell me outright.

I'm sure there are some movies out there that I have liked and have used inner dialogue (though more tastefully I'm sure), but I can't think of any off the top of my head. The only movie that's coming to me right now is that Jude Law flick "Alfie." "Alfie" made extensive use of the inner dialogue from the very beginning and I turned that one off after less than ten minutes.

When I'm watching a movie I want to see a movie. If I want to have a chat with Nick or Jude I'll call them and do lunch.

Kopp